Monday, January 4, 2010

For those of you who know me, you know I love watching television. I could sit and watch shows all day long and become addicted to just about anything. My family has recently discovered the luxury and convenience of a DVR, a digital video recorder. When I am unable to watch a show at its scheduled time, I just hit the little red button and all is well. A few months ago, on a quiet Sunday night while watching my usual Sunday night television line-up, I discovered the series, Brothers and Sisters. If you don't watch it, I encourage you to do so.

This afternoon I sat down to watch last night's episode, a real tear jerker, but it also aroused many thoughts and ideas in my head. I don't want to ruin the show for anyone who is going to take my surprisingly good advice and begin watching the show so I will try my best not to give anything important away. In this particular part of the episode, one of the family members has been ill for quite a while and her husband wants to talk with her to let her know how much he loves and cares for her, in case something happens to her in the near future. They had a rocky marriage at one point but now their love is stronger than ever before. He asks her if she has any regrets, since he wasn't always the best husband and she responds saying she has no regrets. She then proceeds to ask him the same question, thinking her illness probably led to many regrets. But he also responded by saying he had absolutely no regrets.

I say all of this because it made me think hard about my life, the past and the future. I have many regrets from my past, some I think about often, while others are rare. But a regret can be defined as "a feeling of sadness, repentance, or disappointment over something that has happened or been done." Unfortunately, I experience those such feelings on a regular basis, whether it is regretting saying something to someone, or the lack thereof, not doing this or not doing that, and the list goes on. Basically I'm saying we have just now begun a new year, a year where I don't want to live with regrets. It is going to be a priority of mine to live life to the fullest, for we are not guaranteed tomorrow. I want to look back on this year, 2010, and know I wouldn't have done it any different. I want to be the best daughter, granddaughter, sister, friend, girlfriend, babysitter, mentor, etc. that I can be. Most importantly, I want to live my life for Christ, the life He has called each and every one of us to. I want to be an example to others and follow God's will for my life. Luke 9:23 states, Then He said to them all: "If anyone would come after me, he must deny himself and take up his cross daily and follow me." I want to follow this verse and live my life for Him.

No comments:

Post a Comment